Saturday 2 June 2012

Tea

I absolutely adore tea.

For the past few months my favourite has been Rooibos, or Red Bush. I was introduced to it one warm slow-motion morning as I was sat on a shaded veranda overlooking the beautifully rugged terrain of a foreign country. The moment is carved into my memory and I can picture those ancient blue mountains lazily jarring into the swathes of heat, the air buzzing and humming under the sun's morning intrusion. The lady who brought out the tea gave a personal recommendation, due to its ability to refresh the palate and cleanse you inside: she used to be a regular coffee drinker, which, debatably, caused her to argue with her children and be overly irritable, yet now she is drinking Rooibos she is happier and healthier. And it tastes delicious.



Yet although Rooibos is my go-to tea, herbal tea is the most uplifting drink you could have  while on a long hard hike. As a regular walker, in both urban and remote areas, I am no stranger to sweating my way up hills. But when in the Lakes bagging numerous Wainwrights in a day, or in the Scottish Highlands ticking off as many Monroes in a go as your legs will take you, herbal tea is the best thing you could bring. I've had hailstones slashing any exposed skin, rain trickling down the tiniest creases in my layers, and wind whipping me up into a candyfloss ball, but each time, herbal tea has revived my weary body and allowed me to continue. Imagine every muscle feeling like it has no more energy, your skin burning under all the layers but still frozen from the unrelenting elements, your face alert and animate under that numb flushed coating of reality. Then with each sip of tea, you can feel the warmth rush inside, revitalising each joint and pumping heat arteries around your body.

There is always a time and a place for tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed; please join in and share your thoughts!